StatCounter

Saturday, February 5, 2011

This week on... TCM (February 6 - 12)

TCM continues to celebrate the 31 Days Of Oscar with various Oscar-nominated scheduling. The series wraps up on Thursday, March 3. TCM has posted their movie schedule as a handy PDF (warning: clicking that link will launch a PDF).

Sunday, February 6, 2011
Viva Zapata! (1952) 3:45 PM - Marlon Brando plays Emiliano Zapata in one of his better movies.
Short Film: How To Sleep (1935) 9:40 PM - Robert Benchley teaches the audience how to sleep despite interruptions.

Monday, February 7, 2011
Libeled Lady (1936) 12:00 PM - Everyone loves William Powell in this excellent comedy also starring Spencer Tracy, Jean Harlow, and Myrna Loy!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Gaslight (1944) 8:00 PM - A cruel Charles Boyer sends Ingrid Bergman into madness. The last time I saw this, I wasn't feeling well, and I ended up feeling a bit shaken myself!
Glory (1989) 12:00 AM - Excellent performances from Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick

Wednesday, February 9, 2011
What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962) 12:00 AM - I hope, if nothing else, this movie won for 'Best Makeup'!

Thursday, February 10, 2011
Anchors Aweigh! (1945) 2:30 PM - This is the one where Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly are sailors on leave who both fall in love with Kathryn Grayson.
Annie Get Your Gun (1950) 8:00 PM - Some call this one of the worst musicals of all time!
An American In Paris (1951) 10:00 PM - This one, however, is s'wonderful.

Saturday, February 12, 2011
Wuthering Heights (1939) 2:00 PM
Gone With The Wind (1939) 10:00 PM - Will this be the time I finally break down and watch this? Only time (a long, long, long time) will tell.

Elsewhere on the dial:

'Alex, I'm afraid I can't do that..' Later this month, we'll finally be able to welcome back one of the greatest minds of our time, Mr. Ken Jennings, who will return to our televisions in a special Jeopardy! event! Ken will return to beat two robots: the firearms-loving Brad Rutter (his creepy knowledge of weaponry is the ONLY reason he managed to beat Ken in the last championship!) and Watson, an IBM computer solely constructed to defeat humans at Jeopardy! The commercials for this inane event liken the significance of Watson to the moon landings and other important scientific achievements. All the excitement will begin February 14 and continue until February 16. Since I am a long-time Ken fan (we call ourselves Kenatics!), I'm sure I'll be blogging about the championship right here. Make sure you root for the right humanoid.

For Black History Month, TV1 has been airing Way Black When and marathons of retro (1970s mostly) comedy shows. Way Black When is a veritable who's-who of African-American personalities we knew and loved in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. If you love exclaiming, 'I remember so-and-so!' at your tv screen, then you will surely delight at all the familiar faces! Of course, the Nickelodeons and BETs regularly air your standards: The Cosby Show; its spinoff, A Different World; The Jeffersons; and Good Times, but TV1's marathon is showing some rarely seen classics. My favorite is the Flip Wilson Show, which I had never seen before, but now I can't live without! Also of note, they're showing The Richard Pryor Show, which I had also never seen before but is truly fantastic. While I've been enjoying Richard Pryor's standup, I'm mostly intrigued by his inventive and, sometimes, Chaplinesque sketches. Now I understand why he is so respected, both as a comedian and as a true artist. Both shows also had a fantastic array of supporting actors who went on to become famous, including a young Robin Williams, and a lot of fun guest stars. George Carlin was sure in high demand in the 1970s! I highly recommend checking your local listings and watching both shows. I love seeing their different styles, and it's sad to think that it only took about a decade to destroy America's sense of humor! Because it was still going strong in the 1970s!

No comments:

Post a Comment