StatCounter

Monday, June 27, 2011

This week on... TCM (June 27 - July 2)

It seems like this won't be a dry week on the good ol' television. There's quite an excellent array of TCM movies scheduled, many of which will be new to me and, hopefully, to you, too. Elsewhere on the dial, I'm still overjoyed that Hollywood Treasure has returned to Syfy (and, more importantly, to me). It's a pop culture enthusiast's half-hour paradise, and I don't think there's another show on cable that I love as much as this one. It's currently airing two new episodes a week on Wednesdays (from 10:00-11:00 PM EST). Check your local listings. My TV Guide indicated that Syfy will be showing a marathon of Hollywood Treasure later this week (Friday or Saturday, I think). That will be a perfect time for those who have missed out to catch up. I urge all fans of pop culture, movies, television, and comics to check it out. Incidentally, the auction house behind the show, Profiles in History, is also responsible for the monumental Debbie Reynolds auction. I'm hoping that the only other auction/collectible-related show I love (as per my auction/pawn shop/collectible review post from last December), Discovery Channel's Auction Kings (about Atlanta's Gallery 63), will be returning soon.

I'm also still enjoying BBC America's Come Fly With Me (as reviewed in my previous post) which does air on Saturdays at 11:30 PM. You can't go wrong with David Walliams and Matt Lucas, and David Schwimmer was actually hilarious on the second episode. Don't miss this show; there are only six episodes total!

Monday, June 27, 2011
Lili (1953) 4:15 PM - A sweet French-themed musical starring Leslie Caron and Mel Ferrer. A joy to behold, I assure you!
Stage Fright (1950) 8:00 PM - A Hitchcock double-feature (both of which I've never seen!)
I Confess (1953) 10:00 PM - Montgomery Clift in a Hitchcock film!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Brigadoon (1954) 10:00 PM - Brigadoon always puzzled me. I haven't seen it for at least 15 years, and I'm eager to reassess it now.
Let's Be Happy (1957) 12:00 AM - An unknown (by me) Vera-Ellen/Tony Martin musical

Friday, July 1, 2011 (theme: Farley Granger, Roy Rogers during prime time)
Strangers On A Train (1951) 3:00 PM - One of my favorite Hitchcock films mostly because of Robert Walker's character. Incidentally, this is why you should always put your bag or coat on the other seat and pretend that you have a companion who is elsewhere. The life of Farley Granger's character would have been less stressful had he done that.
Side Street (1950) 4:45 PM - Looks like Farley Granger may not be quite as innocent in this film noir.
They Live By Night (1949) 6:15 PM - I've never seen this, but the premise ('After an unjust prison sentence, a young innocent gets mixed-up with hardened criminals and a violent escape.') sounds like a sequel to the excellent Paul Muni film I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang.
Frankenstein 1970 (1958) 2:45 AM - Starring Boris Karloff. I'm mostly interested in seeing 1958's vision of 1970 (if that has any part in the movie).

Saturday, July 2, 2011
City Lights (1931) 8:00 PM - It's an Essential!

No comments:

Post a Comment